First of all, let me say I am by no means a cloth diaper expert. I've only been using them for a few weeks, but it's going very well. There are also TONS of different kinds of cloth diapers. I have only used a few, so obviously I can only tell you about the ones I have used.
I will be honest with you...the reason we are using cloth is because it's saving us money. I know, I know...Tamera is cheap?!?! This is no secret to those of you who know me well. We don't have cable, we don't have texting, we use cloth diapers, we are CHEAP. And I have no problem saying that. Our entire diaper stash cost about $500. That may sound like a lot of money, but that will take us through potty training AND other children! $500 doesn't sound like too much anymore, does it?? Let me also say you don't have to spend as much as we did. We chose to get enough to last us about 3-4 days without washing (we don't go that long though). I typically wash diapers every other day, but you could wash every day and not have as many diapers.
Now that you know I'm cheap, let me explain a little about how cloth diapers work in 2012. It's different than when my mom used cloth in the 70s and 80s. Like I said earlier, there are tons of different kinds of diapers. We mainly use prefolds with covers.
This is a prefold. The middle part of the cloth is thicker than the sides.
First, I fold the prefold in thirds.
This is a cover. It's a waterproof material to hold the prefold. After folding the prefold, lay the cover out.
Next, lay the prefold inside the cover.
I like to flare the back out a little, but you don't have to do this.
Once that's ready, put your kid on top of it, and snap it closed. There are also velcro ones, but I prefer snaps.
Finished product minus the kid.
The snaps adjust according to how big your child is. This is how you can use the same diapers from birth-potty training. This would be for a larger kid. The picture above would be for a small kid.
We have 4 different brands of covers. Here is another brand on the smallest snap setting.
And another.
And another.
So those are the prefolds and covers. That is what we use most of the time. When the diaper needs to be changed all you do is take the dirty prefold out and put in a clean one. You can use the same cover a few changes as long as it didn't get wet or dirty.
There are also diapers called all-in-ones. This is just what it sounds like...one diaper that's all together. Our favorite all-in-one is from a company called BumGenius. The diaper is called the freetime diaper because it's supposed to save you time. The freetime has two flaps as you can see below.
This shows how the flaps are connected to the diaper.
To use the diaper, fold down one of the flaps.
Then fold down the other flap, put your kid on it, and snap it up!
Here's the finished product.
These also have the snaps so that you can adjust the size to use it from birth-potty training.
With the all-in-ones, when it's dirty you take the entire diaper off and put on a new one (like disposables). A lot of all-in-ones have pockets that you stuff with an insert to absorb pee. We had some of those, but I just sold them and got more freetimes because I like not having to stuff these! We use these during the night and when we go out because they absorb better than the prefolds and are quicker to change.
Every other day or so, throw your diapers in the washing machine. I do a cold prewash without soap, then a hot wash with soap. I line dry the all-in-ones and covers, and throw the prefolds in the dryer. So there is my run down of cloth diapers. Are they as bad as you thought?
Another reason to use cloth diapers is because they are cute. Don't you think these are cute?
They are even cuter on babies!
No comments:
Post a Comment