Pages

The Life of a Lange

The Life of a Lange

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Goal

I'm not one to make New Year's Resolutions.  In fact, I have never made any...ever.  But I have been thinking lately about some things I want to change, and it just happens to be the beginning of a new year.  So call it what you want, I have a new goal.  I don't intend for it to be just for this year, but we'll see how it goes.

Before I say what it is, here is some background information that you may or may not already know.  I like to eat.  A lot.  I'm not picky.  There are not very many foods that I don't like, but my favorites are bread, sweets, and fruit.  I have this thing where I eat when I'm not hungry.  I don't exactly know why (maybe it's stress, maybe it's boredom, maybe it's to avoid doing other things I don't want to do), but I do.  Because of this "thing" I have had to loose 40 pounds...twice.  The first time was in high school, but then I gained it back in college.  So last year I lost it again.  I am at my goal weight (well, plus 3-5 pounds thanks to the holidays), but I still have the same tendency to overeat.

Now that you know my one (insert sarcasm here) flaw, here is my goal.  Instead of eating when I'm not really hungry, I am going to read my Bible.  I will still eat my normal meals and snacks, but at those times when I want to eat for reasons other than hunger, I am going to spend time with the Lord.  I have two reasons for wanting to do this.  One: I know that I don't read my Bible enough so this is just one little way for me to do it more.  Two: obviously when I eat when I'm not hungry, I just want to be doing something, and I can't think of a better thing to be doing than spending time with God.

The only reason I put this on here is that I hope writing it down for other people to see will motivate me and keep me accountable.  It's a little embarrassing to write out, but I'm glad I did.  I would love to hear about any goals/resolutions that you have, especially if it's something you want support with or prayers for.  Here's to new goals!

3 comments:

  1. I like it! You are turning your hunger for food into a hunger for God!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing a great thing Tamera! I have committed to reading my Bible every day too. I've found a site called OwnIt365 and it gives you passages to read 6 days a week and then you've read the Bible in a year. I've told myself I will read my Bible before doing anything on the computer. I will keep your journey in my prayers. Love you! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amber and Michelle! I will keep your Bible study in my prayers too, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete